Fights and wild animals

December 6th, 2010 ~ 11:25 am

This weekend was the start of the Loyola Marymount graduate thesis, Precepts of Knighthood. I had a brief rehearsal on Thursday which fortunately didn’t render me too sore to walk like the first one did. I stretched way more and we only worked for about an hour or so to review the moves. By the end of it I felt much more confident about it.

Friday night we had a 4pm call time. I ended up about 10 minutes or so late since I was coming from Burbank, and it’s hard to know if you need more than an hour to get across town. Turns out I did. But it was ok because my wardrobe and makeup didn’t take long and they were still setting up lights and stuff. Two of the thugs for the fight had to drop out, so the fight choreographer stepped in for one and got another friend to come for the other one. Unfortunately one of the guys stepping in wasn’t available Saturday night, so we added those shots to Friday night.

We did all the fighting first. It was really cold out since we were over by the ocean. We could see our breath. Luckily all the fighting kept me warm. I ended up wearing the bitchin’ pleather jacket that was sort of torn up from the Replica shoot last month. Glad it is still of use. They had 2 cameras so we didn’t have to do the fight too many times. The fight choreographer had a friend on set to be his assistant and watch how it looked on monitor since he was playing one of the thugs. It was really good because he could come over and give me adjustments to make it all look better on camera. I feel pretty good about it. Plus it’s a lot of fun. I love doing fight scenes.

After that we did all the dialog stuff with me and the 2 main leads. Then they were done before 2 am I think, so we just had to pick up the intro to the fight scene we were going to do on Saturday. They got the alley dressed and lit and we were brought back out there. It was really cold but there was a big vent next to the building blowing warm air so that helped. Then I just sort of jogged and jumped around in place. One of the actors wasn’t wearing a jacket in the fight so he kept having to take it off for every take.

We were behind a building where the dumpsters are. You know what animals looove dumpsters? Raccoons! Just before we were ready to start shooting, 2 big raccoons were spotted just behind where the camera was set up. They shimmied under a nearby fence. Then a third one showed up and went under the fence. We figured we were fine. But no! The third one soon came back out and didn’t seem phased by the many people standing about. The AD kind of stomped over by it and scared it away finally. He got really close to it, we were concerned. Then a bit later we saw one come around the other side of the alley, and eventually it headed straight for the dumpsters, so we cleared out. We didn’t want it to get freaked out and run at us. It soon got scared off and didn’t come back. Luckily they didn’t go near the craft services table. They just wanted the dumpsters.

Having large wild animals stalking the area is good motivation for finishing up quickly. We got all the shots needed before 4am, so really we still got out on time even with the added shots.

Then last night it was the same call time, but I was the only actor. It was cold again, but we only had like 5 shots. We saw a raccoon nearby but it stayed away. I was still super tired because I didn’t sleep in enough, but coldness really wakes me up. We were just doing some walking shots, so it was pretty easy stuff and we finished around 10, so I was able to go to a party for a bit. I was dog tired, but I made it!

It was a fun shoot. I had a bunch of down time to socialize (and stay warm inside) but not so much that I was waiting forever between every shot. We shoot again this weekend and another day in January when they can get the bar location.

Leave a Reply