Still Beating – a.k.a. Dr. Bonesaw 1.5

July 18th, 2011 ~ 11:57 pm

My buddy at Lead Balloon decided to use the footage from the Dr. Bonesaw promo and write a short film around it. So he had a writer friend write up a script and gathered a small crew. The other actor and I got there early to run lines and block stuff out while they set up. I think I was there about 8am since I live nearby.

They girlied up my friend’s bedroom and we started up there. He gave me a scar with this clear liquid stuff. It was kind of like nail polish in the way it tightens up the skin. After a while it peels at the edges and you have to reapply it. Well, it’s just as fun to peel off as dried Elmer’s glue (you know what I’m talking about!) so I just peeled it off when it needed changing instead of getting alcohol or whatever. But then the shoot ended up being until 2am, so it was peeled off a lot and the skin got a bit raw. By the end of the day it stung like hell when we put it on. Today it’s sort of like a long, thin, patchy sunburn. We joked that if they ever do a Bonesaw feature I’ll be in serious danger. The last mark they left was visible for a few months. Though, that’s more just that i am really pale and marks sticks around for a long time. He felt bad, but I totally ruined the end of his knife and jabbed a ton of holes in the kitchen counter tiles (for a scene, not just lunacy), so I call it even.

So like I said, we wrapped at 2am. It was kind of hard to keep my energy up since waking up even slightly earlier than normal puts me a little off all day. Even if I go to bed early my body just doesn’t like to get up early. There was a little section where they shot the other actor in the living room alone, and I tried to take a quick nap, but it didn’t work. When I was up again, I had some Coke (the soda not the narcotic) and it woke me up enough to power through the rest of the shots, which was the makeout scene, so it kind of required me to be more awake. Then I was still wired when I got home so I didn’t get to sleep until maybe 3am.

Even though we went pretty over in time, I think it’s going to be pretty rad. Might be the longest shoot day I’ve had, not counting those 24 hour film contests we used to do. But the nice thing is that I’m totally done with it! I might have some ADR (not nice to scream at 1am), but the only other scene doesn’t involve me. So I’m glad we finished, even though I am super tired today.

Leave a Reply